I’ve seen a lot of confusion around the Internet regarding Amazon Family (formerly Amazon Mom) and I understand why. Amazon has changed this program a lot since it first began.
I’ve been a member since my first baby was born about 7 years ago so I know the ins and outs! Are you wondering, “Is Amazon Family worth it?” Here is everything you need to know to make a decision.
Amazon Family 101
What are the Benefits of Amazon Family?
There are some amazing benefits of being a paid member of Amazon Family and many moms say that it pays for itself in no time.
Here is what you get:
- 20% off diapers and baby food when you have 5 subscriptions set up that month
- Free Baby Registry Welcome Box
- 15% off baby registry completion coupon (non-members only get 10% off)
- Exclusive Amazon Family coupons
- Free 2-day shipping with no minimum
- Access to Amazon Free Time Unlimited
- Access to Prime Instant Video
- Access to Prime Music
- Access to Prime Photos (secure unlimited photo storage)
- One Kindle book borrow each month
- Prime Early Access (access to select lightning deals 30 minutes earlier than non-members)
What About Baby Wipes?
Amazon Family no longer gives a discount on wipes. However, if you subscribe to 5 or more household items per month you will get 15% off everything including baby wipes.
The best deal is usually Huggies Baby Wipes for about 2 cents per wipe.
How Do I Get the Free Baby Registry Welcome Box?
This is a fun perk! If you start an Amazon Baby Registry, you can get a free Baby Registry Welcome Box.
- Start a registry here
- Complete the checklist
- Make a $10 purchase from your registry or wait for someone to buy you a gift
- Click the “Claim Now” button to add it to your cart
The boxes change frequently but they are always full of free goodies for mom and baby!
How Do I Get the Diaper and Baby Food Discount?
You can get 20% off diapers and baby food when you have a total of 5 different subscriptions in a month. A box of diapers and a case of baby food both count toward the 5 subscriptions so you just have to find 3 more items. You can choose anything from toilet paper to baby shampoo to diaper genie refills.
TIP: Sort by “Price: Low to High” to find subscribe and save eligible items for under $5. In the baby department, you’ll find pacifier wipes, finger food snacks, baby toothpaste and more.
Where Can I Find the Baby Coupons?
Amazon coupons stack with the Amazon Family discount for additional savings. There are 3 pages of coupons to bookmark.
What if I’m Already a Prime Member?
If you already have Amazon Prime, just go to your account settings and add Amazon Family for no additional charge. You won’t need to sign up for a free trial, you’ll just be a full member immediately.
Is It Just For Moms?
Amazon Family used to be called Amazon Mom but it is not just for moms. Dads, grandparents, and caretakers can also get a free trial and become paid members.
Can I Cancel My Diaper Subscription?
Yes! I highly recommend canceling your diaper subscriptions after your order ships. Coupons will only work on the first subscription so you must cancel in order to use a new coupon.
When Can I Use My Registry Completion Coupon?
The registry completion coupon is available 60 days before your due date. This coupon can save you a lot of money so make sure add everything to your registry before using it. You can only redeem it once!
Is It Worth $99 a Year?
Ask yourself these questions.
- Are you organized to order diapers ahead of time?
- Will you be using store bought baby food?
- Do you like checking for coupons?
- Do you shop on Amazon a lot?
- Do you prefer having items delivered?
- Can you cancel cable or Netflix and use Amazon Video?
If you answered yes to most of those questions, you’ll probably save enough money with Amazon Family to make it worth the $99.
When Amazon Family was new and still called Amazon Mom, it was completely free without Prime and the discounts were bigger. Do I miss that? YES! However, it is still worth $99 a year to my family because it saves us so much money and time.
It all depends on your family, but I recommend at least using the free trial so you can save as much money as possible.
Feel free to ask questions in the comments!